Wednesday, August 5, 2009

If It's Not in Your Genetics... Consult a Canadian!

Well for pretty much... FOREVER... I have lacked the skills necessary to make home made biscuits.  I have tried everything!  I have searched the internet & tried a variety of ingredients but to no avail.  My theory is that if you are born in the South, the ability to make tasty biscuits should be in your DNA.  It should be as easy as the ability to talk with a "southern draw" or to use expressions like "ya'll or howdy".  Well, regardless of my thinking... I still lack this skill so I figured all was lost.  I tried in Costa Rica & finally blamed it on the altitude & lack of proper ingredients.  Now we are in Venezuela & biscuits are unheard of here.  There is 1 KFC in a mall & they do have biscuits, however most of the time they are out of them!

It is frustrating to be a Southern girl, craving a biscuit & to be in a place where there aren't any & of course... no southern grandmas are around to help out a girl in her time of need.  After attempt number 10,000 failed the other night... a friend from El Salvador heard my cry & felt sorry for me.  Actually this friend is from Canada but she is a missionary in El Salvador.  She emailed me a recipe & I tried it & was so excited!  It actually worked!  I realize that to many of you, this seems a bit ridiculous, but I was quite proud of my success.  However... it does mess up my theory about having special genetics from being born in the south.  Canada is definitely NOT a southern experience, but it does have great things to offer... especially great friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment