Thursday, June 17, 2010

Not What I Had Planned!

Just this week I was reading the blogs of 2 dear friends.  One friend in El Salvador wrote of her unexpected experience with lice that attacked her 2 small children & the cleaning mess that soon followed.  Another in Africa wrote of her child getting sick in public & how she quickly grabbed her head scarf, that she must always wear, just in time to catch the mess that came from her child's mouth.  I read these stories & thought, wow... these women rock!  Melissa is such a super mom as she washed the hair of her kids & meticulously combed out all of those pesky little bugs from her kids' hair!  And how awesome is Natalie as she ran to the aid of her sick child, grabbed her scarf, caught the mess, and ran from the store.  I don't think any sport has anything on mothers in action!  Obviously these were unplanned events but they each handled them with grace.  I was relieved that I had no story to of my own to add to the mix.......

Then today happened!  Many of you have read before that we were stalking a mouse that we never caught.  Personally, I think he left out of fear.... my children can be quite scary! (ha)  So far this week we have had 6 unplanned guest stay in our home.  We have enjoyed each visit but there hasn't been a lot of time for washing laundry or heavy cleaning.
      I noticed a few days ago that there were these little black bugs in the kitchen.  When I got home yesterday I noticed LOTS of them in my cabinets.... but how was I going to get rid of them with a house full of people?  I tried to act like they weren't there.  Hopefully, nobody noticed or maybe they were just being kind & saying nothing.  When they left this morning I decided to tackle the inevitable & clean out ever kitchen cabinet!!!  Isaiah helped me with the huge task.  The bugs we had were weevils.  They look like this lovely creature in the photo but of course are quite small.  They come in with dried goods like pasta, popcorn, flour, beans, or any other kind of similar product.  Unfortunately, they were EVERYWHERE!  First we vacuumed the shelves.  Then we used disinfectant cleaning everything including the cans & containers.  I put all of the above mentioned products in my freezer to kill any creatures that remained alive & to keep the rest bug free.  Finally I added cupcake holders with cloves to all of the shelves.  My highly scientific google search assured me that weevils hate cloves!  I love the smell of cloves so this part actually made my cabinets smell good which I considered to be a bonus.
      Now I sit writing, completely exhausted from my cleaning spree but relieved the bugs are gone.  Our house might always be filled with unexpected visitors, but from now on I hope they are always the human kind!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog! =) Would you give the kids a hug for me? XD

    ReplyDelete