Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Day My World Stood Still.....part 1

I do not quite know how to begin, although I can say that this could be a little long....

I had all intentions of updating some recent stories about our life in Venezuela since I was quite a bit behind.  I was all set to start the morning of March 9.  I was planning my ideas, which stories I should share, & which photos would best represent each story.

I checked my email & posted on Facebook about how I was so looking forward to seeing my husband because all of his traveling was getting to me a bit & my boys were on "wild & crazy mode" & I had satisfactorily seemed to find the "re-program" switch.  I smiled with my status update & closed the computer for a bit.

Then I received a call.... a call from a friend.... her daughter works for us & was traveling with Chris.

She was obviously shaken & between her nervous Spanish & a bad phone connection I basically heard this:  "What happened to my daughter? What do you know?" Of course I was completely confused.  I asked her what she was talking about.  Her response was "There was a wreck & my phone got disconnected!"  I assured her that I would find out what was happening & I would call her back.

Many thoughts went through my mind as I dialed Chris's cellphone number.  My first 2 attempts failed.  On the 3rd call I heard a voice on the other end.  It was our assistant Miryect.  In the back ground I could hear lots of noise... voices yelling... sirens blaring... & then Mireyct began to speak. 

My question was, "What happened?  Are you okay?"  With fear in her voice I heard several words that sent my mind spinning.  Her words were..."I am okay, but Chris is hurt bad & you need to come!"

At this moment, my world stood still.  I had that feeling in your stomach that no one likes to feel.  I went from envisioning a Venezuelan bump-up to a major car accident.  Our conversation ended quickly & a cold sweat consumed my body.  I quickly ran outside looking for our friend Henry who was just visiting with me & had went to see his aunt a few houses down, or so I thought.  He had actually received a text about the accident & went to a friend's house next door to call before he came to tell me in person.

I ran frantically through our neighborhood in search of Henry.  When I found him he was trying to calm me & told me that Miryect's Dad was on the way to drive us the 5 hours it would take to get to the city Chris was in.  I quickly grabbed a few things, called my mom & Chris's mom, & comforted a confused Isaiah.  By this time the other 2 sleepy heads had awaken & I explained that I had to leave for just a bit but I would try to be back soon.  Just as our 2 dear friends Yubisay & Erica arrived to keep the boys, Miryect's Dad showed up.

I told my boys goodbye unknowing how long it would be before I saw them again.  The next 5 hours was the longest 5 hours of my life.  We periodically received updates from Miryect, mostly frustration from the lack of care Chris was receiving at the Socialized hospital.  There is nothing like being afraid for your husband's life & then realizing that no one is even treating him.  There is nothing else to do but cry out to God....

After a journey that felt like a thousand miles I arrived at the hospital.  Henry & I ran inside & as I approached the door I was told they had just left in an ambulance.  I could see it driving away.  Sadness filled my heart as I was so close & yet still could not see my husband.

Quickly, we rushed to the new hospital that he would be at.  I jumped out at the curb & a police officer saw me & recognized that I must be the wife of the American (I am so obviously an American girl).  He pulled me in to where Chris was laying...........

**************************************************************
Just for a little behind the scenes info that makes this story so incredibly miraculous....

Chris laid alone untreated for 6 hours.  Our assistant had to beg for him to receive the help he did get & was then thrown out of the hospital because the doctors did not want to be bothered. 

Over 30 pastors had gathered in the waiting area out of concern for Chris.  One brought him a sheet to cover him while another called his son-in-law (the kind police man).   Most hospitals in Venezuela do not provide gowns or blankets, especially the ones that are public.  Everyone is always taken to these places & then you have to BEG for permission to take a person somewhere else.  Without a signed paper from this hospital, no other clinic will receive an injured person.

A pastor's brother went to the clinic & arranged Chris's transfer & then called the hospital & made them talk to the clinic.

The kind police officer threatened the hospital, forced them to give the release paper to Miryect, called an ambulance himself stating that Chris was part of his family, & then not only road with Chris, but also directed traffic to get him to the clinic faster. (This kind of thing seriously does NOT happen)

These were just some of the miracles that were taking place before I arrived.  I will continue my story in my next entry.....

No comments:

Post a Comment